A clean business, is a successful business. Maintaining cleanliness in the office or within your business is about a lot more than just keeping a tidy, nice looking environment. Most business owners don’t know that lack in keeping up with the cleanliness of their business can actually cost them upwards of thousands of dollars and even cause them to lose business!
How so? Read this list of 18 facts about the effects and costs that come with lack of maintaining a clean business, and see how you’re losing both money and customers if your business cleanliness isn’t being kept up properly. I will warn you though, these facts will definitely shock you and make you rethink whether you own a truly clean business or not!
18 Shocking Clean Business Facts: How Much Money Are You Losing?
1. With an average of 7.7 sick days per employee per year, this costs businesses a total of $225.8 billion per year!
2. The unplanned absences that come from these employee sick days results in a 54% decrease in productivity and output, and a 39% drop in sales and customer service.
3. A clean business work environment creates a 2-8% productivity gain. An example of the value this creates? For a 100-associate office with an average salary of $25,000, this equates to a total of $125,000 in savings!
4. Own a retail business? Cleanliness was ranked as the most important element to customers when deciding where to shop. 60% said a store’s environment encouraged them to buy more.
5. 94% of people wold avoid a business in the future if they encountered dirty restrooms.
6. A clean business and/or organized office results in a more productive day. In fact, searching for lost documents costs businesses losing around $2.5 million in lack of productivity, according to data by the International Data Corporation.
7. 77% of people feel more productive and relaxed in a clean, uncluttered workspace.
8. Every telephone in the office has about 25,000 germs per square inch on each one!
9. On average, only about 25% of staff in an office think the office is effectively clean.
10. Respiratory illnesses contracted in the workplace can end up costing employeres as much as $134 per employee per year! (Found in a study reported in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine)
11. A 5% loss of productivity due to an unclean building can cost your business thousands of dollars every year. -Dr. Michael Berry, a retired EPA scientist and research professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
12. In a Harris Interactive poll, summarized in USA today, data shows that the survey found that 50% of people who encounter a dirty restroom would discuss it with friends and family. These types of reviews are the ones that end in costing a business customers before many even set foot through the front door.
13. Own a restaurant? 86% of adults in the U.S. equate the cleanliness of a restaurant’s restroom with the cleanliness of its kitchen.
14. The same survey revealed that 75% of adults in the U.S. won’t return to a restaurant with dirty restrooms.
15. 95% of shoppers say that exterior appearance influences where they decide to shop.
16. 52% of consumers have avoided businesses purely because the storefront was dirty.
17. Classrooms contain 20X more bacteria than any other workspace, and daycare centers have the most bacteria!
18. According to Brad Reynolds of Kimberly-Clark Professional’s Healthy Workplace Project, maintaining a clean business environment through diligent washing, wiping and sanitizing can help office workers reduce their rates of cold, flu and stomach illness by up to 80%.
Any smart business owner reading this will instantly recognize and understand the value of what a lack in maintaining cleanliness within their business is truly costing them. Don’t let your business be part of these numbers! As a business owner, you have way too much on your plate to pile keeping up with a clean business environment to avoid losing so much money on top of everything else. Contact us today to setup a free consultation and to get a quote. Let the professionals here at Sparkle and Shine Cleaning Company handle everything within having a truly clean business for you! We work to help your business reach it’s full potential and achieve success.